Talk:Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (impressions)
If I committed a major sin by omitting the link by the Ghibli Blog, I want to apologize for that, but I have disliked the writings of its author, particularly in his excessively harsh cricitisms about the Ghibli dubs and of Disney's treatment. ("You see, children, there is a valid reason why I have such disdain for Disney's treatment of these films. They've earned it.") As someone who likes watching these movies dubbed, I find remarks like that very insulting. Furthermore, I don't think his insistent castigating of Hollywood by using Ghibli's works as a tool is a good way to encourage people to try out these movies. If what I have done is illegal then I apologize again, and you can put it back if you like. All I'm saying is that I really dislike that particular website; it's no match for GhibliWiki IMO. -JTurner
- Pondering... --LLin 23:07, 18 August 2009 (UTC)
- No apologies needed as far as I can tell. But... Since this site is supposed to be encyclopedic in scope about all things Ghibli (at least that's what I make of what our charter is supposed to be), I'm uncomfortable with the idea of an editor deleting links to a review site simply because an editor disagrees with either the opinions expressed on that site or with how those opinions are expressed. I've read that site for several years and have no objections to its review content or to its tone of delivery - in fact I've used it when doing research for some of the book and video descriptions I'm currently working on. But then again, I mostly agree with him. Not that my opinions about Disney's handling of the Ghibli cannon in NA, or the idea of dubbing foreign language films in general, should mean anything here.
- I'd say the readers of this wiki, especially those looking for reviews or opinions, should be able to go to any link posted here, read what it has to say, post on the MML for discussion and/or debate if they feel like it, then form their own opinions as to that site's competency to review films. Ghibli's people and works don't generate much discussion in NA - I say the more the merrier when it comes to reviews and opinions. --Eishagishi 02:49, 19 August 2009 (UTC)
- I'd agree with leaving the links in. Others have far stronger opinions about Miyazaki himself (any of the Oshii comments, for instance), and half the reviews we link to contrast Ghibli vs. Hollywood in general anyway. It's not like Peter is campaigning to prevent Disney from associating themselves with Ghibli... Mrgazpacho 03:05, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
- Wrong website; this Ghibli Blog is by Daniel Thomas. JTurner 11:26, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
It's fine with me if you want to put it back. I'm just saying that I totally disagree with him on every level about the handling of these movies and the dubs being inferior because I happen to like these dubs. I know that some people are free to feel otherwise, but I found his comments very insulting as a fan who likes Ghibli in English.
Again, I'm simply stating my opinion. -Jturner
- Rolled back the page contents --LLin 05:31, 21 August 2009 (UTC)