Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Animage Comics 1)
|Original title (if not in English)||Animage Zōkan, Kaze no Tani no Nausika 1|
|Released||25 September 1982|
|Size and weight||B5 (10.1" x 7.2")|
|Followed by||Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Animage Comics 2)|
Original price: ¥330
Current price: ¥410
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Volume 1, is the first of seven collection albums published in Japan for Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaä manga. This volume was released before the completion of the Nausicaä story. It contains the first 8 chapters of the manga. These chapters were originally serialised in Japan in the February through September 1982 issues of the monthly magazine Animage.
Animage Special 1
Volume 1 was first published on 25 September 1982 as Animage Special, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind 1. This first edition has an illustrated blue cover. This edition is no longer in print.
Animage Comics Wide 1
Starting with the 25 August 1983 re-release, all subsequent editions of Volume 1 were published as Animage Comics Wide Ban, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. This edition has a newly designed green cover. An illustrated dust jacket was also added. The more familiar illustrated white dust jacket usually obscures the actual front cover from view. The back of the dust jacket for Volume 1 is turquoise.
The Japanese term for New Edition  was initially printed alongside the number 1 on the dust jacket and an illustration was printed on its inside flap. The text and illustration on the flap were used to advertise the March 1984 release of the film of the same name, which is based, in part, on the contents of this Volume. Dust jackets with these additional illustrations were printed for a limited time period in 1983 and 1984 and are no longer in print.
All editions of Volume 1 come with a, double-sided fold-out color frontispiece as well as a separate, one-sided, poster.
Reads Right to Left.
Prior to publication of Volume 1 Miyazaki made some changes to the panels of the manga as they had originally been printed in Animage magazine. During the preparation for the publication of the this collection volume, panels were retouched, in some cases redrawn entirely and four new pages were added but after the publication of the first edition no further changes were made. Although there are variations in the cover design, the contents of all the different editions of Volume 1 are otherwise identical. An example of a change, made by Miyazaki before the first edition of Volume 1 was released, can be found in Scott Ryan's article Nausicaa Manga Comparison.
Although the Japanese Volume 1 does not have an individual title, the corresponding first chapter in the English language Viz Media Box Set was given the title "The Valley of the Wind".
Volume 1 on Tokuma Shoten site (japanese)
Volume 1 is included in a seven part Box Set of the whole manga  (Japanese)
- Animage Special, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind ( Animage Zōkan, Kaze no Tani no Nausika アニメージュ増刊 風の谷のナウシカ?)
- Animage Comics Wide Ban, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Animage Comics Wide-Ban, "Kaze no Tani no Nausika" アニメージュコミックスワイド判 風の谷のナウシカ?)
- New Edition (Shinsō-ban 新装版?)
- A better quality reproduction of the illustration can be found in The Art of Nausicaä (Japanese) (p. 48) and in Watercolor Impressions (p. 105).
- Obi ( 帯?) The example, from the fourth edition of Volume 1, shows an advertisement for the Nausicaä film. Over the years there has been a wide variety of obi, frequently used to advertise other Miyazaki, and later Studio Ghibli, works.
- Reproduced in Watercolor Impressions (on p. 14, p. 16 and p. 22 respectively).