[Misc. Ghibli] Ghibli screenings at MoMA (fwd)

Ryoko Toyama (airami@starleaf.net)
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 16:35:27 +0900

From: "Ryoko Toyama" <airami@starleaf.net>
To: <other-announce@nausicaa.net>
Subject: [Misc. Ghibli] Ghibli screenings at MoMA (fwd)
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 16:35:27 +0900

The following was originally posted to the Miyazaki mailing list by Andrew
Osmond:

The Museum of Modern Art has the some information on its Ghibli
screenings at the web-site:
http://www.moma.org/filmvideo/db/future.html

(Text at the end.) I took the liberty of phoning Mr Laurence Kardish,
who is mentioned in the text. He told me the following:-

Bad news: Mononoke will not be shown.
Good news: Yamadas will.
Odd news: All the films shown will be subtitled, except for Kiki and
Totoro. When I asked Mr Kardish if the Totoro dub was the one availabe
on US video, he said he thought it might be a new one. I'm presuming
it's the old dub, unless BV have kept very quiet about their recent
projects...

Important: Mr Kardish said the best person to speak to at MOMA would be
a Mr Harris Dew - not available when I rang. Perhaps Michael would like
to try calling sometime; the MOMA switchboard number is 212-708-9400 and
dial '0' for operator. I'll also drop a quick line to Mr Alpert at
Ghibli, who may know something about the arrangements.

(Website text)
Studio Ghibli, Japan
     September 16-September 26, 1999

     Founded in 1984 by Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, Studio Ghibli
has become one of the foremost producers of feature-length animated
films in the world. Ghibli, an Italian word for a strong Sahara wind,
describes the overwhelming effect this small but potent studio has had
on Japanese culture. Its films have consistently been cited by Japanese
critics, and are frequently the most popular films in their year of
release in Japan. Its recent animated epic, Princess Mononoke (1997),
has been seen by more  Japanese than any other domestic film, and its
newest film, Takahata's My Neighbors the Yamadas will open in Japan this
summer.

     Miyazaki (born 1941) has drawn manga (cartoon narrative
publications) and made anime (animated films) for all his professional
life. Takahata (born 1935) graduated from Tokyo University. Both
Miyazaki and Takahata, after working in the animation departments of
Toei Studios, joined A-Pro and then Zuiyo, animation productio
companies. In 1984 Takahata, who himself had directed a number of
animated films, produced one directed by Miyazaki from Miyazaki's manga
character, Nausicaa, a brave young woman who becomes a warrior. The
success of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind led to the formation of
Ghibli, which has since produced ten remarkable animated feature films.

     On the occasion of the American premiere of Princess Mononoke this
autumn, The Museum of Modern Art is pleased to present Nausicaa of the
Valley of the Wind and a retrospective of Studio Ghibli, from its first
film, Castle in the Sky (1986), to a preview of a new Ghibli film on
September 16.

     Ghibli's feature films are, to Americans, uncommonly intense. The
animation, fluid, lush, and striking, creates imaginative universes that
are self-contained and rich in surprising detail. Its characters, like
those in any good fiction, experience both pleasure and pain; what is
unusual is that the adventurous stuff of a Ghibli animated drama stem
from the sensibilities of the characters. Change, loss, the irresistible
impressions of memory, and the emotional price of experience are
recurring themes, and it is for these as much as the beauty of the
animation itself that the films of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata are
celebrated.

     Studio Ghibli, Japan is presented in cooperation with Buena Vista
Home Entertainment and Miramax Releasing, and was organized for The
Museum of Modern Art by Laurence Kardish, Senior Curator, Department of
Film and Video.

(End quote)
--
andrew osmond